Tuesday, 29 September 2015

Migrant Crisis of a Different Kind . . .

Every day the 'flood' of Migrants is reported on the news, but as far as I'm concerned it's a 'drought' of Migrants, . . . Hawkers that is.
 
There's been a few at Far Pasture but I've not yet managed to get one settled to photograph. Reports from Shibdon Pond however, tells a different story, with George telling me of several, including tandem couples and sending me a neat photo from Sunday to whet the appetite.

One of several Migrant Hawkers at Shibdon on Sunday, where was I? Far Pasture, seeing nowt. 

Yesterday I went to Shibdon to see for myself, . . . . and saw exactly nothing :-(
Then George sends me a video (sorry George but it's not gonna win any Oscars) of a female ovipositing in a dead reed stem, . . . also from yesterday :-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLO0q3hx2uA&feature=em-share_video_user

I was convinced he was attacked by the dragonfly at the end but he says not, shame, add a bit of screaming to the soundtrack at the end and it might have got on You've Been Framed :-)

Apparently they are coming out when the afternoon sun has warmed them up, 1.30 to 3pm being the peak time, so my hour and a half from 10.45 to 12.15pm was a bit of a waste, despite warm air and sunshine in the latter part.

Today I'm stuck at home in an attempt to finish the final garden-tidy before the weather changes completely for the worse. This afternoon was lovely, and lo and behold George sends me some more pics of Shibdon Migrants he's taken . . . this afternoon.


More Migrant Hawkers at Shibdon, while I was at home doing the garden :-(
All photos courtesy of George Simpson
The frustrations of this year are becoming a bit tedious, will I get the chance to finally photograph a migrant or two myself? Well the forecast for the rest of the week is still favourable but with loads of chores still to do I'll be chomping at the bit to have another try, but wouldn't bank on it.

Just have to watch this space, as they say. :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment