Sunday, 8 March 2015

One To Watch

Found this prog about Dragonflies on YouTube. It lasts around fifty minutes but is a decent effort at explaining the life of the dragonfly and what makes them special, though you will have to forgive the unnecessarily staged death scenes, the sometimes inaccurate narration and at times terrible continuity in film sequences. But you'll find a lot of the filmwork is outstanding and the programme itself starts to draw you in. Worth watching if you're already a dragonfly fan or want to learn a bit more about them.

Sky Hunters, the World of Dragonflies :

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knlXTU1R_rE


Back to today and this morning I visited a dull and dreary Far Pasture. Again the pond was fairly uninteresting but the car park and hedges were brimming with song birds. On the path to the hide I was surrounded by half a dozen lesser redpolls, a couple of male siskins singing their hearts out from the uppermost branches of a tree, pairs of bullfinches and reed buntings and tiny foraging goldcrests, all superb little birds.

Goldfinches, Willow and Long-tailed Tits, and a host of common stuff in the area, overhead 3 red kites and a kestrel pair. Unfortunately too dim for photos (the weather that is, not me . . . but then again)




  

2 comments:

  1. Where would u say we're the best places to see red poll in gateshead, I still have yet to see any, I don't get to far pastures that often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I'm probably not the best person to ask as I haven't been birding outside the Derwent Valley in over 6 months :-O
      The Far Pasture birds are the only ones I've seen this winter, in the past there have been decent flocks at Watergate Park but I don't know about this year. I think it probably best to ask Rob (Gateshead and Beyond) as he gets about the borough a lot more than me.
      Sorry I can't be more help but thanks for looking in.

      Delete