Saturday, 12 July 2014

Back with a Broad-bodied Bang

Gasping to get down to Far Pasture now the roadworks are finished so down I went this morning in bright sunshine.
Nice job of the road though surprised they hadn't done it all, and the car park is in a right old state with all the heavy machinery getting in there.

But that doesn't affect the wildlife, first thing I noticed is how much the vegetation has grown since I was last down, and the pond was full to the brim.
Apparently I'd just missed the kingfisher (yawn) but apart from a pair of dabchicks sitting on a nest (a bit late or second brood?) birdies were few and far between.
A single common darter was the only dragon on show, but azure damsels were aplenty, and a few emeralds as well.


Rotten shot of a male emerald damsel


I probably spent too long at the main pond and only had half an hour left to inspect the Forbidden Pond. After I fought my way through the jungle path I found an oasis of dragonflies, eventually counting 3 male and 1 female Broad-bodied Chaser (ovipositing), 3 Four-spotted Chasers, a handful of Common Darters (pair ovipositing) and a cracking immature male Ruddy Darter, which I was well chuffed with after failing to record one for so long last year.
Unfortunately, the barbed wire fence (installed last year) proved a major obstacle for the Krappy Kodak, and though I reeled off loads of snaps of every species I saw, very few turned out even remotely identifiable.

Rotten shot of a male broad-bodied chaser

Azure and emerald damsels were present in good numbers and a single blue-tail was the only other.

Great to have my patch back, be down again soon.    

No comments:

Post a Comment