Sunday, 22 June 2014

Plan C from Outer Space

Put plan C into operation today, ie I borrowed my better half's Canon Powershot S95 as it has a 15x zoom and a macro setting, and went up to Thornley Woods Pond to try it out after studying the manual last night.
Unfortunately it turns out it's no more than a complex snapshot camera and despite trying out a lot of functions in good light for the most part, only one photograph came out semi-decent, and it's nigh on impossible to get a real close-up in focus.

Large Red Damsel (male)
Best shot of the day
The others produced worse results than the Krappy Kodak, so it's back to square one for the moment at least. I did spy this alien-looking bug-eyed creature I don't think I've come across before, though couldn't get it in focus despite a few attempts :



Looks like something out of a 1950s B-movie (or should that be Bee-Movie) but despite the distinctive appearance I still have no idea what it is.

The good news on the dragon front though is that there were 5 Southern Hawker exuvia in the far margins, earliest I've noted them here but then again I don't usually look this early.
There were also far more Azure damsels than I've seen here before (50+), and probably more Large Reds as well (c30) with lots of mating and ovipositing going on from both species.

I also got a Brimstone butterfly, a species I don't note much around these parts, a female judging by the pallid look, but unfortunately it was dead on the path by the road, so probably clipped by a car.

So what next? as Plan D doesn't exist it looks like back to Plan B and the Krappy Kodak :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment