Friday, 24 May 2013

One Year on . . .

A year to the day since I began Dragonhunt 2012 and as you can imagine I didn't even bother looking. I'm thinking of changing my blog to 'The Weather Whinger' because it's all I seem to do these days.
For those reading not in the northeast of England today has been cold wet and windy, hardly ideal conditions for dragonflies so still nothing to report.
We're in danger of having the shortest dragonfly season in history at this rate. It's been confirmed that this spring has been the coldest since 1979 and 6th coldest since records began, and with dragonfly emergence somewhat reliant on warmer temperatures I'm wondering if any have actually bothered yet this far north.
Reports on the BDS website have sightings as far north as Lancashire but the western side of the country has been on average a lot warmer than the east over the last few weeks.

I did actually have a look at Thornley Woods Pond and Far Pasture yesterday, but again sunny spells were at a premium and it was hardly surprising there was nothing to see in between the bouts of rain and hail, though paddock hill woods did provide my fifth butterfly species of the year with this Speckled Wood :


But again it's a sad fact that here we are at the end of May and off the top of my head I can tell you exactly how many butterflies I've seen so far in 2013, Small Tortoiseshell 3, Peacock 3, Orange-tip 1, Green-veined White 2, Speckled wood 1, unidentified 1, so a grand total of 11, very poor.

The outlook for the weekend is a lot warmer and sunnier (I'll believe it when I see it) so I'll try and get out for a look somewhere if possible, because by Monday by all accounts it's back to wet and windy again.
Marvellous.

No comments:

Post a Comment