Wednesday, 19 September 2012

NEWSFLASH !!

A site first for me today when I spied a male Black Darter at Far Pasture. Unfortunately too distant to photograph (believe me I tried) but had great views of him through my bins as he patrolled the front edge of the island to the right of the hide, coming to rest on the shoreline, occasionally darting up to skirmish with passing common darters.

As far as I know there's only been one record at the site previously, back in September 2006 and I've been keeping an eye out in late season there ever since so a very pleasing find.

Of course it doesn't mean they are breeding here, they are a nomadic species prone to wandering from pond to pond, the males will spend a couple of days at a new site but if no females appear they will then move on elsewhere. I would hope to go down again tomorrow to see if he's still there but the forecast is for an all day downpour so the prospects not good.

Nevertheless I'm well happy with that, late season just gets better and better!

Other dragons on site :
A good count of over 30 common darters, at least 6 pairs ovipositing.
Single Southern Hawker (male) seen briefly
Single Migrant hawker (male) hawking roadside trees
Two emerald damsels on the pond.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment